In the late 1800's one of Sigma Kappa's founders, Ida Fuller Pierce, moved to Kansas. She lived here for many years with her husband. In 1912, her niece Abbey Fuller decided to attend KU so she moved to Lawrence. She and her Aunt Ida met women from a local sorority on campus. At this time there were 5 national sororities and 1 local sorority, Delta Psi, at KU. The members of Delta Psi decided they wanted to become a chapter of a national sorority and so the process began. In 1913 Delta Psi prepared a petition requesting to become a Sigma Kappa Chapter. In April of that year they became Xi Chapter. Abbey Fuller was initiated with this first group.
In the early years the chapter focused sisterhood as there were not many women at KU. They had the first sorority house at KU which was located near the Union. As the chapter grew, property on Edgehill was purchased and construction on the new house began. The chapter house remained on Edgehill for many years until the mid-1950's when again growth would require a new house.
The Ellsworth's, who lived on West Campus Road, we're looking to downsize so Xi Chapter agreed to purchase this house. Through the years many renovations have been made to update the house to meet current needs.
In April of 2013 the chapter celebrated its centennial. Through the years several thousand women have called Sigma Kappa home at KU. Even though many things have changed, the values our Founders created are still strong today. Loyalty, Friendship, Personal Growth and Service continue to be the foundation of our sorority.